We all seek love, that’s a fact. We grew up watching Disney movies, hoping Prince Charming will come someday and we can live happily ever after; however, as time goes by, the priorities of that fairy tale change.
When I decided to pursue a master’s on a Business School, I was keened about two things: meeting new people and finding a job in London. So far, I have met tons of new and very interesting people, but the job hunting is not as good as I expected. I thought that the fact of coming from a very prestigious university was going to open the doors of banks, hedge funds, etc., but the truth cannot be more apart from reality. Yeah, the name of the university and the programme does help, but there are a lot of people trying to pursue the same positions; hence, the job hunting is pretty much like the Hunger Games.
As I mentioned before, as you grow up priorities change and at this point in life, it is more disappointing to be rejected by Goldman Sachs, than by the most handsome guy of the programme. So after a few “thanks but not this time” kind of emails, I decided to do some research on how to deal with the fact that employers are just not that into me. Here are my findings:
- Don’t take it personal. Yeah, I know it seems that all the banks and boutiques have decided to play against you, but the reality is that there are so many applicants equally qualified for that job.
- Keep motivated. Being rejected after spending hours in an application is one of the worst feelings; however, you need to keep in mind that there are more opportunities out there.
- Learn from it. Just as you learn from your romantic relationships, try to find a way to improve your applications. Always ask for feedback and keep in touch with the recruiting team for future opportunities.
- Choose wisely. People say you must kiss some frogs before you find Prince Charming, and it applies for job hunting as well. Understand what you like and what you are good at before losing your time applying to everything you see.
- Take your time and try again. Rejection is rejection under any scenario, so take your time to recover from it. Just as in relationships, it is not the end of the world and eventually Prince (Job) Charming will come.